While I am definitely passionate about homeschooling, where my heart beats the most strongly is for hurting and lost people around the world. I have shared before that there is just something in me that has to share. I am compelled by God to share the grace He has bestowed on me. (This isn’t a new phase in my life, I have gone on mission trips regularly/yearly since I was in junior high school!!)
Practical Ideas for Instilling a Missions Heart
- we should have a “great commission” worldview in our homeschool – not just a Biblical worldview!!
- keep praying fervently for God’s will to be accomplished in the lives of each of my children
- missions and the lost are IMPORTANT – so important that THEY are the FOUNDATION of our homeschool!
- decorate your home with things from other countries
- hang maps all around your home
- keep a globe out and available to your children
- give WITH your children to needs around you – involve them
- read George Mueller’s biography
- being to pray like George Mueller – with FAITH, thanking Him in advance for what He is GOING TO DO
- learn about missions – incorporate other countries and missionaries into your other subject areas
- get passports!
- make hospitality a regular habit in your home
- honor and esteem those who are advancing the kingdom – when a missionary comes locally to speak, GO and go speak with them afterwards, make them feel more like heroes than most ‘heroes’ in our country today (political, sports figures, etc.)
- be an ambassador for missions in your church – if your church isn’t big into missions, don’t use that as a reason to leave, take that as a CALLING that God has placed you there to help spread awareness and start trips!
- if you personally cannot adopt, support orphan care in other ways! child sponsorship, helping other families adopt, being supportive, going on trips.
- develop an interest in your family for unreached people groups (if you are looking for one to support, consider praying for my upcoming trip!!) study these countries, learn about these people, PRAY daily for people around the world and their needs
- use books like Operation Worldor Window on the World to pray with your family
- GO. DO. SERVE. with your children. This is what our homeschools should be made up of.