- Christopher Columbus (Step-Into-Reading, Step 3)
- Animals Christopher Columbus Saw: An Adventure in the New World (Explorers)
- Story of Christopher Columbus, The
- Christopher Columbus (My First Biography)
- Encounter (my very favorite book about this time period!! it will make your kids think!!)
- Pedro’s Journal
Links & Resources
- Columbus Worksheets (PDF’s) – very good worksheets!!
- Columbus Activities from Enchanted Learning
- Pedro’s Journal unit study from HSS (a chapter book we will be reading)
- Columbus Poetry – for memorization or copywork
Field Trips & Other Fun
- Nina & Pinta Replicas ~ here is the schedule – see if they are coming near you!!
- Making ships from egg cups – cute!
- Create a New World Map
We are memorizing the famous poem, In 1492.
In fourteen hundred ninety-two
Columbus sailed the ocean blue.
He had three ships and left from Spain;
He sailed through sunshine, wind and rain.
He sailed by night; he sailed by day;
He used the stars to find his way.
A compass also helped him know
How to find the way to go.
Ninety sailors were on board;
Some men worked while others snored.
Then the workers went to sleep;
And others watched the ocean deep.
Day after day they looked for land;
They dreamed of trees and rocks and sand.
October 12 their dream came true,
You never saw a happier crew!
“Indians! Indians!” Columbus cried;
His heart was filled with joyful pride.
But “India” the land was not;
It was the Bahamas, and it was hot.
The Arakawa natives were very nice;
They gave the sailors food and spice.
Columbus sailed on to find some gold
To bring back home, as he’d been told.
He made the trip again and again,
Trading gold to bring to Spain.
The first American? No, not quite.
But Columbus was brave, and he was bright.