The next character in our american history course that we are learning about is Thomas Edison!! He is quite a remarkable man to study! I have learned so much!! I have also realized that we haven’t learned much about electricity and would like to study that further with the kids also! Learning always leads to more learning…
Our main “text” for this is the biography of him from the Childhood of Famous Americans set, Thomas Edison: Young Inventor . We have loved these books and own a lot of them! They are perfect reading for my girls this past year and this year in our American History studies, but also in their level of reading and the amount of information given in each book.
We did lots and lots of copy work from this time period. Thomas Edison had SO many great quotes! What a wise man he was!
Here are some of our favorite Edison quotes:
- What seems impossible today, may not be tomorrow.
- To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk.
- Genius is 1 percent inspiration, 99 percent perspiration.
- Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
- I have not failed yet. I have just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.
- If we did all the things we were capable of, we would literally astound ourselves.
- Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to always just try one more time.
While we were together for our co-op time we did a few things to learn more about Mr. Edison. We got several ideas for these activities from this book, Thomas Edison for Kids: His Life and Ideas, 21 Activities.
Other books & videos on Thomas Edison we enjoyed:
A Wizard from the Start: The Incredible Boyhood and Amazing Inventions of Thomas Edison
Timeless Thomas: How Thomas Edison Changed Our Lives
A Picture Book of Thomas Alva Edison
Edison: The Wizard of Light (DVD)