Yet another fabulous art project that I found on Pinterest! My students did a great job on this at co-op last week!
I found this lovely idea on this blog.
- Black construction paper
- White watercolor paper – with 3 circles traced on it
- Watercolor paint & paintbrush
- Oil Pastels
- Have children paint the 3 circles on the white watercolor paper with watercolors. Suggest they choose 3 different colors for their ornaments. Most of mine did solid colors, but a few asked if they could do stripes/patterns on their ornaments.
- Let the watercolor ornaments dry, cut out the circles when they are dry.
- As ornaments are drying, use oil pastels to draw the branches on the black construction paper. Use brown to draw a curved line, then different shades of green to make the needles on the branches. (Suggest that children not put the lowest branch TOO low on the paper or the ornament will not fit under it when it is glued on.)
- When ornaments are dry and cut out and branches are drawn, glue one ornament just underneath each branch.
- After ornaments are glued on, use a silver or gold oil pastel (or gray or black) to draw on the little hooks that will make them appear to be “hanging” on the tree branches!
I love how these turned out!!
Teaching Art Links
- Art Class Project Ideas Pinterest Board
- Supply List for Art Co-op
- 5 awesome art blogs!
- Van Gogh’s Sunflowers ~ Lesson Part 1
- Van Gogh’s Sunflowers ~ Lesson Part 2
- 12 Picture Books about Van Gogh
- Van Gogh’s Starry Night
- Circle Project with Oil Pastels
- Fall Leaves & Trees with Chalk Pastels
- Turkey Art
- Christmas Ornament Art Project
- Chalk Pastel Christmas Trees & Bethlehem