My youngest child is my first boy. He is an absolute delight to us.
Teaching him, however, has proven to be a bit of a challenge! I thought I’d share a few ideas I have tried and ask you to share your fabulous ideas as well!! 🙂 Pretty please! I would love a few more ideas to have up my sleeve! I know part of what is working is that it is NEW…so I need some more ideas for when these get old. ha!
I have been teaching Caleb to read for awhile now. He is doing well…but I feel like we’re not progressing well because he just doesn’t sit on the couch quietly and sound out words with me like the girls were willing to do.
So, I’ve been looking for ways to make Caleb’s school day more FUN and ACTIVE.
Here are some things we have been doing the past few weeks that have really helped!
A few more ideas we’ve tried:
- listening to music on my ipod while doing copywork (gets done about 10 times faster!)
- reading with mom AT NIGHT instead of in the morning after we have done 2 hours of read alouds
- giving more breaks in between subjects
- having him go outside and run laps around the house
- giving him silly putty to play with while I read (and putting it away each day after I’m done)
- actually lots of things in his hands have been good – rope, hammer, screws, etc. He loves all that kind of thing!! I just have to keep it fresh and pull out new things every few days. Or rotate things from time to time.
I have started a Pinterest board where I am collecting ideas to help me be a better teacher for Caleb.
Fill free to take a peek and also share your fabulous ideas with me!! Please!! 🙂