Deb Bell was a hilarious, down to earth and practical session teacher. I loved hearing her speak! And while her talks weren’t similar in nature to those of Mark Hamby or Norm Wakefield, her session was just as great and needed by me! Her talk was probably one of the most practical I heard all weekend, in terms of homeschooling.
- teacher making all decisions
- kids lose motivation & curiosity
- kids may become sullen
- main priority: crowd control
- time management – give the kids assignments and let them figure out when to do it, give deadlines
- subjects – let them choose subjects – ask them, what would you like to learn more about? make a list together!
- teach your children to ASK questions – write the questions down, keep a running list, HELP them FIND answers – in books, online, library, etc.
- allow children to initiate projects and writings of their own
- learn to facilitate and not dictate
- give them the tools they need – and teach them HOW they are used
- do not assign projects until the kids are mature enough to do the majority of the work themselves
- focus on developing these skills: research, library, internet, finding experts, papers, performances
Isn’t that good stuff? I immediately came home from the conference and gave my girls “homework.” HA! They’ve never actually had homework before! They were excited. (I know, it won’t last long.) But, I realized in Deb’s session that I need to start giving them assignments and deadlines and I had not been doing that!
**Side note: As I listened to Deb Bell speak, I happened to think that she might really enjoy and agree with the Project Based Homeschooling book that I raved about a few months ago!! I need to be more assertive about helping my girls to CONTINUE these projects also.
I was so blessed to be able to attend the Teach Them Diligently homeschool conference in Nashville last weekend. I shared about how God wanted me there and provided all the necessary items: room, ride, conference fee. And I’m so thankful. The sessions I attended were so fabulous, I wanted to share all my notes with you!!
Here are the speakers, I will go back after this series and link them all together: