In our art class at co-op (Teaching Art ~ With the Help of Pinterest) we have been learning about Vincent Van Gogh this semester! I have been blown away by all the FABULOUS children’s books on this amazing artist! So, I wanted to share a few of my favorites with you!
Van Gogh Picture Books
- Camille and the Sunflowers
- In the Garden with Van Gogh
- Vincent’s Colors ~ this is a very simple book with simple, short wording, but it’s also one of my favorites because the lines in this book are Vincent’s own words written about his paintings in letters to his brother!
- Katie and the Starry Night ~ These James Mayhew books are EXCELLENT, probably my favorite books to introduce children to these famous artists!
- Vincent Van Gogh: Sunflowers and Swirly Stars (Smart About Art)
- Visiting Vincent Van Gogh
- Vincent van Gogh & the Colors of the Wind
- The Van Gogh Cafe ~ this is more of a chapter book, 64 pages, but I had to include it because it was written by one of my favorite children’s authors, Cynthia Rylant
- van Gogh and the Sunflowers (Anholt’s Artists Books for Children)
- Katie Meets The Impressionists
- The Yellow House: Vincent Van Gogh and Paul Gauguin Side by Side ~ this is based on a true story and my art students and I had a great conversation based on this book after reading it together.
- Katie and the Sunflowers
Teaching Art Links
- Art Class Project Ideas Pinterest Board
- Supply List for Art Co-op
- 5 awesome art blogs!
- Van Gogh’s Sunflowers ~ Lesson Part 1
- Van Gogh’s Sunflowers ~ Lesson Part 2
- 12 Picture Books about Van Gogh
- Van Gogh’s Starry Night
- Fall Leaves & Trees with Chalk Pastels
- Turkey Art
- Christmas Ornament Art Project
- Chalk Pastel Christmas Trees & Bethlehem
One of my favorite tools for teaching art is Tricia’s Simple Chalk Pastel Tutorials! Find them here!